Professionalism, Responsibility, Accountability and Integrity
To serve and protect the citizens of New Hanover County with integrity and enforce the laws of North Carolina and the United States of America.
Goals, Objectives & Outcomes
Goal #1: Lower Part I crimes for a safer community.
- Reduction in Part I crimes by the use of intelligence-based predictive policing
- Reduction in Part I crimes through information sharing/relationships with other law enforcement agencies in an effort to successfully identify and prosecute perpetrators of crimes
- Reduction in Part I crimes by continued efforts in building relationships within our community with an emphasis on crime prevention and education
Goal #2: To hold ourselves to the highest standards of Professionalism, Responsibility, Accountability, and Integrity.
- In addition to mandatory in-service training, supervisors will complete additional hours of supervisory training with an emphasis on leadership and management skills
- Enhanced efforts in community relations by increasing the number of community outreach contacts and/or volunteer opportunities from the previous calendar year
- Provide training opportunities, mentorships, and succession planning for deputies and detention officers desiring to further their careers and personal growth
Goal #3: Promote professional growth within the Sheriff’s Office.
- Identify and implement growth within the Sheriff’s Office through technological advancements to better enhance our capabilities
- Promote growth and professionalism within the Sheriff’s Office through best practices and peer review in the form of attaining and maintaining accreditation’s
- Reduce inmate recidivism by continuing and enhancing the personal growth of those housed within the Detention Facility by providing assistance in education, healthcare, and community re-entry
Goal #4: To ensure and enhance a safe learning environment for our schools.
- To facilitate the constant presence of School Resource Officers in the public schools
- To facilitate and educate the training to all staff and students for active shooter response
- To educate and raise awareness of gang and drug activity through continued outreach programs
- To continue to educate students and staff on their personal safety
Goal #5: To ensure and enhance proper animal care within our county.
- To increase the number of animal adoptions
- To increase the number of rabies vaccinations
- To reduce animal law related violations through enforcement and education
- Increase relationships with the community to build trust and improve quality of life
- Maintain an open and professional organization of trust with the community
- Develop strategies to recruit and retain high-quality employees, enhance employee satisfaction, and staff development
- Identify technology based investigative tools to improve case closure rates
- Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our delivery of police services by expanding the use of technology
- Increase professional development programs for rank & file employees