The composter is located at the New Hanover County Landfill, 5210 US Highway 421, Wilmington, NC 28402. Residents and businesses can bring food waste to the composter during normal business hours free of charge. In addition, residents can bring food waste to the county’s HazWagon on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
When you bring food waste to the landfill, follow these simple steps:
- Weigh in at the truck scale, then go straight until the road curves to the left.
- Proceed past the yard waste processing area until you see the composting area on your right.
- If you have small quantities of food waste, drop it directly into the gray containers marked “Food Waste.”
- If you have large quantities of food waste, drop it directly into the recessed pit area of the composter.
- Once you have unloaded, proceed back to the truck scales to weigh out.