City of Wilmington Stormwater Services

See it Report itThe City of Wilmington Stormwater Services provides comprehensive management of the stormwater drainage system to protect the community and the environment within the city limits. Click here to learn more about the City of Wilmington's Stormwater Services.

Report Stormwater Pollution Within the City of Wilmington

If you have information about pollution being spilled, dumped or discharged into the stormwater drainage system, which includes storm drains, ditches, swales, creeks, lakes, ponds, streets, or directly into a waterway, please: Call the City of Wilmington Stormwater Pollution Hotline 910-341-1020 or Report Online.

When contacting the City of Wilmington, leave as much information as possible:

  • Date of Incident
  • Time of Incident
  • Location
    • The City of Wilmington cannot respond to reports for violations that occur outside the City limits.
  • Source and Type of Pollution (if known)
  • Responsible Party (if known)
  • Your Contact Info
    • It is helpful to have your contact information in case someone needs to get more information or follow up with you about the report.

Examples of What You Can Report

  • Person Pouring a Liquid down a Strom DrainFoam, bubbles, or a milky appearance in a ditch or waterway
  • A strange odor coming from a storm drain
  • Spilled or dumped auto fluids (motor oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, etc) or
  • Chemicals (paint, cleaners, etc) on the street or into a storm drain
  • Wastewater piped to a creek or ditch (i.e. from a washing machine, floor drain)
  • Washing equipment outdoors using chemicals
  • Sediment flowing off a construction site
  • Sewage spills should be reported immediately to the Cape Fear Public Utility Authority hotline at 910-332-6565
  • The City of Wilmington cannot enforce pet waste complaints that occur on private property

You can also report the following activities to the State of NC:

  • Littering: Use the Swat-A-Litterbug Form to report someone littering from a vehicle. (Your report is anonymous to the offender).
  • Construction Site Erosion: Call 1-866-STOPMUD to report violations to the State's Sediment and Erosion Control laws at construction sites.