Adult Day Care
Adult Day Care
- The Adult Services unit provides case management for recipients of state Adult Day Care funds, so that adults have access to an organized program of services during the day in a community group setting for the purpose of supporting their personal independence and well-being.
- The activities offered include, but are not limited to:
- exercise groups, arts and crafts, educational events, music, and religious programs. Participants are also served lunch.
- New Hanover County may pay for transportation to and from the day care program, if needed. The number of days a person attends the daycare each week ranges from two to five days, based on the participant's and caregivers' needs, day care center's availability, and funding.
- The Adult Day Care programs in New Hanover County are licensed by the NC Division of Aging and Adult Services and monitored by the Department of Social Services.
- There are no income guidelines or co-pays to participate in this program, but a financial need or burden does have to exist to be eligible.
- To be eligible for Adult Day Care, the person must be 18 years or older and have physical and/or cognitive deficits that require supervision or socialization.
- Participants who require medication administration and/or assistance with personal care such as feeding, ambulation, and toileting during the day are still eligible but would fall under a higher level of care program called Adult Day Health.
- The social worker assigned to assess the participant will help make the determination regarding which program best fits the participant's needs.
How to Apply
- Contact New Hanover County Social Services at 910-798-3506 for more information.