3950 Juvenile Center Rd.
Castle Hayne, North Carolina 28429
(910) 798-4216 Office
(910) 798-4257 Fax
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”
The New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office is not accepting
applications for full-time Detention Officers to fill current
vacancies: Working in the Detention
$18.27 - $31.06 Hourly $38,008.00
$16.57 - $28.18 Hourly $34,474.00 - $58,606.00 Annually
Candidates must successfully complete a written examination,
physical abilities test, structured interview, background
investigation, polygraph examination, medical examination, and
Applicant Selection Process
Click on link below:
must download, fill out and submit the following forms:
for Release of Personal Information (must be
Disqualifiers (must be notarized)
Ability Release Form
Once the Recruitment Unit receives your documentation, you will
be scheduled for the following events:
The Recruitment Unit will not reschedule any cancellations. The
Recruitment Unit will schedule the applicant for all phases of
the selection process.
Reading Comprehension assessment:
Applicants must achieve a minimum score of 80 % to
advance in selection process.
Police Officer Physical Abilities Test (POPAT):
Applicant cannot participate in the physical ability test
without a completed release form.
Applicant must complete every event under 3 minutes.
Applicant is seat-belted in the driver’s seat of a patrol
vehicle with hands on steering wheel. Then applicant is given
two (2) street names. On instructor’s command “Go” the timed
1. Applicant removes seatbelt and exits the vehicle and runs 100
yards and returns 100 yards to the front passenger’s side door
2. Applicant opens the vehicle door, removes seat-belted
passenger (150lbs) from vehicle and drags passenger 50 feet to
staircase placing the subject on ground. (Body drag must be done
walking backwards while grasping subject under both arms.)
3. Applicant will then go up and down a staircase 3 times,
touching every step.
4. Applicant runs from staircase (25 feet) to a 50 pound
weighted door. Applicant will pushes through the door using the
entire side of body.
5. Once through the door, applicant will descend to the ground
and perform 20 proper push-ups.
6. Then applicant will then perform Twenty (20) proper Sit-ups.
7. Applicant runs back to the staircase, go up and down 3 times,
touching every step.
8. Applicant runs from staircase (25 feet) to a culvert and
crawl through the culvert with a flashlight in hand.
9. Once out of the culvert, applicant will descend to the ground
and perform 20 Proper push-ups
10. Then applicant will then perform Twenty (20) Proper sit-ups.
11. Applicant will then run 100 yards and return 100 yards to
the passenger’s side of vehicle where a passenger is standing
next to the vehicle.
12. Applicant will grasp and drag (150lbs) passenger 50 feet to
staircase, placing passenger on ground.
13. Applicant must recite the two (2) street names provided at
the beginning of the test precisely in the order they were
given. Time will stop.
In-depth background Investigation:
Structured Review Board:
New Hanover County Sheriff’ Office reserves the Right to modify
the selection process at any time without prior notice.
years of age at the time of employment.
North Carolina driver’s license with a satisfactory driving
School Diploma or GED recognized by the North Carolina Board of
be a citizen of the United States
Discharge from the Military
Felony conviction or any crime punishable by more than two years